In the beginning (about 1860), the City of Virden laid out the cemetery in the northwest corner of the IL 4 and Cemetery Road intersection where the bowling alley is located now. In 1864, about 5 acres of land was transferred to the Virden City Cemetery from Calvin and Margaret Heaton. Most of the graves were moved to the current location during the civil war. In 1894, Mary and Jerome Baldwin transferred a little over 6 acres of their land to the Virden Cemetery. This land was next to the new location of the cemetery.
In 1921, the Cemetery Association decided to become incorporated and officially named the Virden, Illinois Cemetery Association.
J. F. Nevins — President, George Nevins — Secretary, J. N. Hargrove — Treasurer
In 1937, Dora J. Rohrer conveyed a little over 9 acres of land to the Virden, Illinois Cemetery Association adjacent and to the west of the existing cemetery. This carried the cemetery property all the way west to the St. Louis Peoria and North Western Railway Company property.